15 fabric characteristics you need to know
You are probably familiar with the fabric characteristics and some of the common textile fibers. However, you may not understand all the various natural and manufactured (synthetic) fibers. The following summarizes the important characteristics and some of the specialized fibers used in apparel and home furnishings.
- Hemp: It is a plant fiber, known as a cool and noble fiber. It has good hygroscopicity, fast moisture release, is not easy to generate static electricity, has a large heat conduction, and quickly dissipates heat. It is cool to wear, does not fit the body after sweating, and is more washable. Good heat resistance.
- Mulberry silk: natural animal protein fiber, smooth and soft, full of luster, warm in winter and cool in summer, has a unique "siming" phenomenon when rubbed, has good extensibility, good heat resistance, Not resistant to salt water attack, should not be treated with chlorine bleach or detergent.
- Viscose: It is made of wood, cotton linters, reeds and other natural cellulose-containing chemical materials. It is also often called artificial cotton. It has the basic properties of natural fibers, good dyeing performance, good fastness, and soft fabrics. Large specific weight, good drape, good moisture absorption, cool to wear, not easy to generate static electricity, fluff and pilling.
- Acetate fiber: It is chemically processed from natural cellulose-containing materials. It has the style of silk, is light and comfortable to wear, has good elasticity and elastic recovery performance, is not suitable for washing, and has poor color fastness.
- Polyester: It belongs to polyester fiber with excellent elasticity and recovery. The fabric is crisp, wrinkle-free, good shape retention, high strength, good elasticity, durable and has excellent light resistance, but it is prone to static electricity And poor hygroscopicity.
- Nylon: It is a polyamide fiber, also known as nylon. Its dyeability is better than that of synthetic fibers. It is light to wear, has good waterproof and windproof performance, high wear resistance, and good strength and elasticity.
- Polypropylene: It looks like wool or cotton, with a waxy feel and luster, elasticity and recovery, generally not easy to wrinkle, small specific gravity, light, good clothing comfort, can transfer sweat faster to keep the skin comfortable, strong wear resistance They are more durable and not resistant to high temperature.
- Spandex: It has excellent elasticity, also known as elastic fiber, also known as Lycra, with good elasticity, smooth hand feeling, low hygroscopicity, good weather resistance and chemical resistance, machine washable, and poor heat resistance.
- Vinylon: The appearance and feel of the fabric are like cotton cloth, with poor elasticity, good moisture absorption, low specific gravity and low thermal conductivity, light and warm to wear, good strength and wear resistance, strong and durable, and excellent resistance to chemicals and sunlight.
- Pure linen fine spinning: it has a fine, light, crisp, smooth style, and has better air permeability and comfort.
- Grass cloth: It is a traditional Chinese textile. The fabric is white in color and soft in luster. When worn, it has the characteristics of clearing away sweat and leaving the body, crisp and cool.
- Interwoven linen: fine texture, durable, clean surface, softer than pure linen, comfortable to wear.
- Palis: It is wool mixed with polyester, with a smooth surface, light and thin texture, crisp hand feeling, crisp and wrinkled, easy to wash and dry, and has good wearing performance.
- Gabardine: Also known as gabardine, it feels smooth and waxy, with a tight and elastic texture, and the cloth surface is smooth and smooth, with a soft and natural color.
- Thin tweed: light and thin texture, smooth hand feeling, comfortable to wear, crisp, good moisture absorption and good ventilation.