Essential Facts About Silk fabric
Let’s talk about the things about silk today~
The "unique" of silk
Silk is made from silk fibroin known as the "queen of fibers". The main ingredient is pure natural animal protein fiber. Its structure is 87% identical to that of human skin. It contains essential amino acids for the human body and has the functions of preventing wind, dehumidifying, calming the nerves, nourishing and balancing human skin. It can help the skin maintain the metabolism of the lipid film on the surface, so it can keep the skin moisturized and smooth.
The "expensive" of silk
The silk needed to make a silk dress comes from about 2,000 cocoons. This complex craftsmanship and the hard work of the workers make the price of silk even higher! Silk fabrics alone require so many complicated processes, plus post-processing techniques (hand-painting, embroidery, etc.), and then made into clothes.
"Momme" is the weight unit of silk, 1 momme=4.3056 grams/square meter. Represents the fabric thickness. The higher the number, the heavier the fabric. for example:
Scarves: 6-16 momme
Pajamas: 16-19 momme
Bedding: 16-30 momme
Generally, more than 19 momme is considered heavy. But in fact, all kinds of silk are different, not all the heavier the better, the luster and feel of heavy silk may not be so good, but it will be crisper. Of course, the price will be higher
"Maintenance" of silk
- Hand wash in cold water. Because the color fastness of real silk is relatively poor, high-temperature water will easily fade.
- Do not use laundry detergent. Try to use silk special laundry detergent, shampoo or children's shower gel. Because the alkaline content of washing powder is too high, it will denature the protein in the silk, resulting in wrinkles.
- Too acidic. After rinsing the silk, soak it in water containing 5% white vinegar for two minutes to fix the color.
- Wash away yellow stains from sweat. Rice water, lemonade, white vinegar, etc. can be used to neutralize acids and alkalis.
- Let dry. Silk clothing should not be exposed to the sun after washing. Generally, it should be placed in a cool and ventilated place to dry. Because the ultraviolet rays in the sun tend to yellow, fade and age silk fabrics.
- Ironing. The wrinkle resistance of real silk clothing is slightly worse than that of chemical fiber, so there is a saying that "no wrinkle is not real silk". When ironing, dry the clothes until they are 70% dry, then spray water evenly, and wait for 3-5 minutes before ironing. The ironing temperature should be controlled below 150°C. Note: It must be covered with a layer of damp cloth before ironing to prevent the high temperature from making the silk brittle or even burnt.
- Dress. Because the fiber of silk is relatively thin, it cannot withstand excessive friction. Therefore, when wearing silk, pay special attention not to strenuous exercise, such as riding a bicycle, in order to prevent the fabric from being violently rubbed, resulting in drawing and shifting.
- Store. Silk clothing is best stored hanging. Keep ventilation, avoid moisture and direct sunlight; when white and dark silk are placed at the same time, separate them with safety items; avoid directly contaminating desiccants, cosmetics, perfumes, etc. on silk clothing, and wash them in time if they are accidentally contaminated.