A Robe for Every Occasion: How to Buy and Wear Robes
There's nothing like a soft silk bathrobe to take the chill out of cold mornings or evenings. Your bathrobe should be personal and suited to you. Finding, and then wearing, the perfect silk bathrobe, can be difficult, but with this guidance and advice, it won't be.
1. Know What Makes a Silk Robe a Good Fit
The best robes are ones that fit your body snugly. They won’t slide off of your shoulders or require you to readjust the belt all the time while wearing them.
Good-fitting robes also feel comfortable and will allow for free and unrestricted movement. A lot of the time, people buy bathrobes in the next larger size for this exact reason: They want to feel comfortable and to wear other loungewear items underneath the bathrobe.
No matter what type of bathrobe you intend to purchase, allow a 3-5 inch margin to the body measurements you have. This way, you can be sure the robe provides maximum comfort and freedom of movement.
2. Consider the Silk Bathrobe Weight
When choosing a robe, one of the primary things you should consider is the weight, aside from the size of the robe. The weight of the robe you prefer can affect other factors to consider when purchasing a robe.
The weight of the robe will determine the breathability and comfort of your bathrobe. If you want to keep warm, it’s ideal to choose robes in a heavier fleece. Lightweight robe options are best suited to warmer climates and areas where you can stay comfortable indoors.
3. Understand How Silk Bathrobes Are Measured
To get the most comfortable fit for bathrobes, you’ll need to know and understand some measurements bathrobe manufacturers often refer to. Pay attention to the following measurements when choosing your bathrobe size.
- Length: This is the distance between the neck’s center to the ankle. For bathrobes, the length is the measurement between the collar of the bathrobe to its hem.
- Width: The width means the circumference of the bathrobe skirt. This needs to fully envelop or cover a person’s legs and hips without being too loose or too tight.
- Sleeve: Sleeve lengths are crucial when buying a robe. There’s no problem with preferring bathrobe sleeves that reach the middle area of your fingers. It’s a matter of preference — some want shorter, elbow-length sleeves. In the bathrobe size chart framework, the sleeve length is the measurement between the shoulder seam to the sleeve cuff.
- Sleeve Opening: The sleeve opening is also not an issue when buying a bathrobe. But, it’s good to keep this measurement in mind when buying clothes for other people in general.
- Belt: The length of the robe’s belt has to be proportional to the bathrobe’s waist measurements.
- Sweep: The sweep is the measurement of the bathrobe’s bottom hem from edge to edge.
4. Find Your Measurements
The single most important thing to ensure you choose the perfect size robe for you is to take your personal measurements. It’s best not to leave this to guesswork, especially if you’ve never measured for clothing before.5. Select the Type of Fabric You Want
Bathrobe manufacturers have an extensive list of fabrics used in making their robes. To choose the best one for you, you’ll need to know the different fabrics and how they can affect the feel and function of the bathrobe.
Silk has good insulation properties as it is a natural fiber. It provides warmth during winter and keeps you cool on the summer days. It is available in different weights and feels wonderful to wear. It drapes beautifully and reflects the light. If you have the patience for washing silk it is the perfect fabric for a robe.
How to wear silk robe
1. Do pick a robe that is not too big, nor too small. You want it to wrap your body accordingly but you don't want it to overwhelm your shape.
2. Don't go for fuzzy robes. Pick a silky one or even a velvety one instead.
3. Don't wear your silk robe with an oversized dress. Balance is key!