Why are panties called knickers in England?

In Britain the word ‘knickers’ is the name given to women’s underpants, or panties as they are called in the US. The word itself is a contraction of ‘knickerbockers’ which describes the knee-length baggy men or boys trousers that originated in the US and were named after Dutch descended New York aristocracy.